Pages

Sunday, May 19, 2013

Farmer's market fun

Farmers market was amazing, everyone was so friendly! I tried pear jam, fennel sausage, and my first savoury crepe full of roast pumpkin, feta, salad and love. Everything was perfect - there were so many pears that i think i have around 3kg now, shall wait for them to ripen a little more then roast them with cinnamon and nuts to top my Greek yogurt, or make a toasted sandwich with brie, Rose's raspberry jam and roasted pears. The only sweet toasted sandwich I've had before was the equivalent of a schmore so this could be really good. I also got an enormous leek - leek and potato soup anyone? The brightly coloured tents just made me so happy. I had a little hangover from the dress up party the night before and woke up strangely early for a Saturday at 8am, it had just been raining so the air was fresh and i loved the hour round trip as it cleared my head. Luckily i remembered to wash off the lightning bolt on my face from the night before as i had been running around dressed as a super hero, that would have looked most unusual.

Later that day we had Alex's birthday party, all of my vegan chocolate cupcakes had already vanished but at least i know he got one. They were really good! I had four hahahaha
Here's the recipe from Pastry affair's blog http://www.pastryaffair.com/blog/vegan-chocolate-cupcakes.html

Vegan Chocolate Cupcakes
Yields 12 cupcakes
Vegan Chocolate Cupcakes 
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour 
3/4 cup granulated sugar 
3 tablespoons cocoa powder 
2 teaspoons espresso powder 
1 teaspoon baking soda 
1/2 teaspoon salt 
1 teaspoon vanilla extract 
1 teaspoon vinegar 
1/4 cup vegetable oil 
1 cup water
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C). Line a cupcake pan with baking cups.In a mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, cocoa, espresso powder, baking soda, and salt. Add the vanilla extract, vinegar, oil, and water. Using a spatula, mix the batter until smooth.Divide batter evenly between 12 baking cups (about 3/4 full). Bake for 18-22 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Remove from baking pan and allow to cool to room temperature.
Whipped Chocolate Glaze 
170g semi-sweet chocolate, finely chopped (use dairy-free to keep vegan)
1/2 cup coconut milk (or heavy cream, for non-vegans)
Place chopped chocolate into a mixing bowl. Set aside.On medium-high heat, bring coconut milk to a boil, stirring occasionally to prevent the milk from scorching. Pour milk over the chocolate, making sure that the milk covers the chocolate. Allow to sit for several minutes before stirring until smooth. Allow frosting to rest on the counter until it cools down and thickens to a pipe-able consistency (anywhere from 20 to 40 minutes).Beat the frosting for several minutes until it incorporates air and feels lighter. Place frosting in a pastry bag (or plastic bag with the corner cut out) and pipe frosting onto the cooled cupcakes.

My cupcakes didn't survive long enough for a photo so this is from the recipe's website ;)
The party was fun, we stayed up talking all night and the boys danced - many of us had fluffy hats on and we finished all the jelly shots. 

Just made chocolate cake in a mug and ate it with boysenberry ripple ice cream, it disappeared a little too quick i feel. Kathryn said she was going to send the blood orange tea leaves for me this week, should be interesting to try out - maybe i shall take a little flask into uni every day.

At the moment i am about to paint my nails a deep deep purple, put on my Daisy perfume and fluffy hat to make me feel better and then make the 5 minute walk through the gardens to the study center to study the rest of my night away. At least i know that something good is on the way... mum surprised me by saying she is sending a care package today which is giving me waves of good feeling and then when i told Ryan how exciting care packages are he said he was going to send me one too as i am clearly stressed... so i think the post is full of sugar for me at the moment, more trouble.

No comments:

Post a Comment